Chicken on Rice is the street food I ate at New York street. It was the first day I went to New York after coming to the US in 2014. It was very new to me to see the world International world, huge buildings, and huge dreams. The roads, the vehicles, the streets, lightings, store everything new for me. We walked and walked through the streets and felt hungry. We didn’t have any idea of going to a restaurant nearby or how to reach for it and all, cause everything was experienced first. On the way when we were trying to locate Mac Donald( we only knew this food chain, which was easy to look for) we came across this food truck offering some food, which had this chicken on rice menu on it. It looked so delicious in the picture so we ordered one. The writing of the whole story is that I invented this chicken on rice dish in New York street and now I know this is New York common street food.
I liked this dish and was extremely happy to get such a tasty recipe further to try on. Later I tried cooking at home and only it was the taste on my tongue to show me the ingredients and yes google search to correct the ingredients.
So I will share how I make this recipe. Let me know if you make your style Chicken on rice recipe. So I can try perfecting mine.
1 cup cubed boneless chicken.
2 tsp ginger garlic and green chili paste
1 tbsp mint and coriander paste (take mint and coriander at same proportion and 2 to 3 green chili, make a paste of it)
1 lemon juice
1/2 tsp red chili powder
salt to taste.
For Rice Cooking
1 cup long grain rice
1 cup water
1 tbsp butter
2 tsp cumin powder
1/ tsp turmeric powder
Salt to taste
2 tsp black pepper powder.
- Marinate chicken with all the marinations listed above for 2 hours and refrigerate.
- Later on Skillet cook chicken till golden brown.
- Heat kadai and butter, add cumin powder, turmeric, black pepper powder on a medium-low flame, let the aroma doubles add rice and toss in the butter and cumin to get all the flavors in it.
- Put 1 cup water to cook rice and cover, keep checking and adding water if needed.
- The rice should not become too sticky( pour some lemon juice to prevent stickiness)
- On plate serve chicken next to rice, top up with cream and sriracha sauce and chopped lettuce and tomatoes and cilantro.
Watermelon is the fruit in the world which contains a lot of water. It acts as a refreshing agent. In summer intake of watermelon is a good option. It becomes messy though. When you start eating the juices run all over your face and hands. LOL
My husband doesn’t eat fruits at all. If juices are offered to him, it’s always welcoming. The reason for this is because he doesn’t like chewing fruit and tasting the sweetness of fruit flavors. Weird right!!!.
But I have this option for him to make juice which will at-least end up in his stomach.😜
Sorbet is a form of the juice itself, but here I put melon cubes in a juicer and got the juice out of it. And scooped few round melons and placed in the glass. But this was only for food photography. Ok let’s start with Ingredients
3 cup watermelon cubes
1/2 tsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp rock salt
1/2 white pepper powder.
- Put watermelon cubes into the juicer. ( if you don’t have a juicer, just blend and sieve it.)
- Mix all the ingredients and serve fresh.
- This sorbet has to be served fresh and drink fresh.
- An ice cube can be added.
I have grown up eating seafood every other day. Fishes and all kind of seafood was a part of our everyday meal until I got to marry. My husband and his family are from towards the mountain (Ghat) side, thus their meal includes meat and chicken more compared to seafood. That’s the whole beauty of India. Every state and talukas has different food cuisine. And every cuisine even names of the recipe the same but making is different.
Crab masala I made is a totally Konkan style cuisine. I miss the taste of fishes from India and all Indian fishes are not available here in the US. I bought this crab first time which was blue in color from an Asian store where I generally get few Indian type fishes.
Only me and my daughter like crabs. The sea crabs which are huge and large also taste good and has much flesh to eat. The one I bought was medium size crabs, the legs were thin and the claws were not big. But yeah overall good.
Let’s have a look how I cooked Crab Masala.
3 pcs of crab( clean)
1 to 2 tbsp of oil.
2 medium onion.
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
3 red chili
2 tsp roasted coriander.
1 tsp sesame seeds
1/2 tsp poppy seeds
3/4 cup grated fresh coconut
2 to 3 tsp of ginger garlic paste
2 tsp garam masala
1 tsp chili powder.
- Dry roast dry ingredients ( coriander seeds, poppy seeds, sesame seeds, red chilies)
- Shallow fry onion in pan, Fry till it changes color to light brown.
- Remove from pan and roast grated coconut as well.
- In a mixer jar grind the dry ingredients first, then in the same jar grind onion and coconut into a fine paste.
- Next heat kadai add one chopped onion and let it translucent.
- Add turmeric powder, ginger garlic paste, let the raw flavor go and follow by crabs and salt to taste.
- Cover and cook on medium flame.
- pour in the paste, garam masala and chili powder and 1/ cup of water.
- Cook well for 10 to 15 mins on low flame.
- Garnish with chopped coriander.
Note: Spices and heat can be adjusted with the proportion of chili powder and garam masala.
Chutney is a sauce or a dry base for a sauce in Indian cuisine. It is made with few ingredients which are mixed and made into paste thick or thin.
I make this red chutney for chaat and to make curries or gravy of any vegetables. I give the add-on garlic flavor and makes food tasty. Today I cooked spinach curry in which I put this chutney during sauteing green chili. The flavored doubled. I will share the Spinach curry recipe soon.
You can make this chutney and refrigerate. It is easy an last for 15 to 20 days in the refrigerator once make.
1 cup dry red chili
1 cup dry red Kashmiri chili
1/2 cup garlic
6 to 8 tsp of lemon juice
salt to taste
6 to tsp of oil.
- Soak dry chili in water for 2 to 3 hours in water.
- Drain and make a paste adding rest of the ingredients.
- Can add water, but I suggest instead add lemon juice. Not much but the proportion of the water should not be much.
- If keeping in refrigerator keep in a glass jar, so it stays for long.
Easy Peasy right.
Follow me for more such easy recipes.
I will be sharing my day to day food photography photoshoot behind the scene and my experience soon. Please feel free to suggest and comment below.
Ice cream is one of the things in the world which is liked by everyone. In my previous post I shared about the situation what I face making ice cream, yeah I make two types of ice cream. So yes, this ice cream I made the same day but was not able to post the same day.
This is the same procedure I did for mango and pineapple, but instead, I added choco chips and cocoa powder into it. Rest procedure is same with same ingredients as well. I am sharing measurements and procedure once again with cocoa powder and choco chips.
2 cup whipping cream
1 cup condensed milk( I make condensed milk at home, recipe given below)
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
1/2 cup dark cocoa powder
3/4 cup choco chip
- Whipp cream to its peak. Use a hand blender to whip the cream. (Please note cream should be cold and just removed from the refrigerator before whipping.
- Mix condensed milk, vanilla essence and sieved dark cocoa powder and chipset set in the freezer for 4 to 5 hrs (Preferable to use the metal tray to set ice cream, please keep the metal tray in the freezer before setting icecream.
- 2 cups (16floz/450ml) full-fat milk or low-fat milk
- 8 Tbsp sugar ( for this proportion it is supposed to take 10 tbsp, but I took less for less sweetness)
- Mix sugar in milk and dissolve
- Boil this milk in saucepan once it boils, simmers the flame and let the milk reduce to half.
- Before mixing into whip cream and fruit, let the condensed milk cool down completely.
If you all ask me about my favorite food, my answer is seafood and that too in Konkan cuisine style. I love love the way my mom cooks fish recipes and more in seafood. I am trying to reach the level of taste she makes, but unfortunately, I haven’t. I still remember those days when I used to come home from office late night and my mom used to send fry fishes and fish curry at my place even late. I am a mom of a grown daughter and sometimes feel this phase should remain still and never go. Now I understand the efforts and love for me by my mom and my younger brother who drive late night to reach my place before I reach home and get this freshly made favorite food of mine.
Every time when I make fish I always remember those days and my mom love behind the scene.” I Love you, Mom”. So let’s start
Ingredients (Prawns Fry)
30 to 35 pcs of shrimps
5 to 8 pcs Kokkam( garcinia indica)
1/2 tsp tamarind paste.
2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp ginger garlic paste.
1 tablespoon of oil
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
salt to taste.
- Heat kadai and pour oil and heat.
- Add shrimp and salt according to taste in kadai and on high flame let it fry till the water gets evaporated( shrimp leaves the water when cooking)
- Add tamarind paste, Kokkam, ginger garlic paste and all other ingredients together and fry (ie without not water)
- Shrimps don’t take long to cook.
- When shrimps leave the water, let it completely evaporate.
- Spices can be adjusted according to taste.
Now let’s move to the recipe which is Tomato curry ( tamatyacha rassa)
Tomato curry is made with tomato, freshly grated coconut, red chili coriander seeds. The taste it gives is awesome when they come and blend together. This curry is eaten with white rice or with rice flatbread (tandlachi bhakri). Lest have a look on the Ingredients of it.
Ingredients( Tomato curry)
1/2 tbsp vegetable oil
2 medium-size red tomatoes
1 small size onion (chopped)
2 cloves of garlic
1/4 cup of freshly grated coconut
1 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp asafoetida
3/4 curry leaves
Chopped coriander leaves for garnishing
1 tbsp of coriander seeds( roasted)
6 dry red chili ( 3 red chilies and 3 Kashmiri red chilies)
- Make a powder of red chilies and coriander seed in a mixer jar, in the same jar add freshly grated coconut, tomatoes few chunks of onion, 1 garlic clove and make a fine paste.
- Heat saucepan adds oil, let oil heat add mustard seeds (till crackle), asafoetida, curry leaves, chopped onion and chopped garlic on medium flame.
- Let onion get light brown in color, add this tomato and coconut paste to it. Let the flame be on high, continuously stir till boils.
- Simmer the flame and let it cook 10 mins on low flame, half covered.
- Garnish with coriander once done.
I am posting Sol Kadi ( Garcinia Indica juice with coconut milk ) on another blog. It has a good story and importance in Goan/ Konkan food, thus will update soon.