Pav bhaji is a fast food dish from India, consisting of a thick vegetable curry, fried and served with a soft bread roll. This is one of the best snacks considered in Maharashtra. Paav bhaji is a street food everyone cherishes. The bread roll(paav) and bhaji are full of buttery flavor. The bread roll is roasted on butter on tawa (thick bottom skillet) and a dollop of butter is dropped in bhaji while serving.
According to Wikipedia Pav bhaji dish originated in the 1850s as a fast lunchtime dish for textile mill workers in Mumbai Maharashtra. Pav bhaji was later served at restaurants throughout the city. Pav bhaji is now offered at outlets from simple handcarts to formal restaurants in India and abroad.
11/2 cup cauliflower
1 cup potato
1/2 cup cabbage
1 cup carrots
1 capsicum (chopped in a small chunk)
1 cup peas
1 cup onion
2 cup tomatoes
2 to 3 green chilies
1/2 tbsp ginger garlic paste
1/2 tbsp pav bhaji masala
2 to3 bay leaves
3 to 4 tbsp butter
3 tsp red chili powder
2 tsp lemon juice (optional)
chopped coriander to garnish
- Cook all the veggies in cooker till lightly softens.
- In a thick bottom, Kadai adds butter, chopped onion, bay leaves. Let the onion get translucent.
- Put Ginger garlic paste followed by tomatoes add salt to it, so tomatoes will start leaving the water. Let the tomatoes cook and ginger garlic smells gone.
- Add pav bhaji masala and red chili powder and mix well. When the masala leaves an aroma, put all the cooked vegetables and smash in, to incorporate.
- Add water if necessary or the consistency you need. Put capsicum and cover and let it cook for 5 to 10 minutes on low to medium flame.
- Squeeze lemon if you like and garnish with coriander.
- Serve with chopped onion and pav toasted in butter.