Biryani is a mixed rice dish with its origins among the Muslims of the Indian subcontinent. It is popular throughout the Indian subcontinent as well as among the diaspora from the region. It is also popular in other regions such as Iraqi Kurdistan.
Biryani can be veg or nonveg, Biryani can be made in various style. Some type of biryanis are layered of rice and thick curry in between and layered with mint and coriander leaves and also with fried onion. Some of the Biryani is mixed all together in rice.
I usually make Biryani’s during weekends or when not willing to cook much. I have used fried onion in this recipe. Very easy and as a usual quick recipe.
1 3/4 cup basmati long grain rice (washed and drained)
2 large onions for frying
Oil to deep fry onion
2 tbsp ghee (clarified butter)
1 1/2 tomato (finely chopped)
Coriander leaves (optional)
1 large onion for biryani (finely chopped)
1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
4 green chilies
2 tsp turmeric
3 tsp red chili powder
2 tsp coriander powder
2 tsp garam masala
1 tbsp yogurt
2 tsp saffron.
For cooking Rice
6 to 8 cloves
10to 12 black pepper
2 inches of cinnamon
2 to 3 green cardamon
1 black cardamom
4 to 5-star anise
2 to 3 bay leaves
1/2 lemon juice
For Smokey charcoal flavor
1 tsp ghee/oil
- Marinate chicken with ginger garlic paste, salt, coriander powder, and yogurt. Keep marinated for a minimum half hour.
- In a kadai heat oil to fry onion. Make a thin slice of 2 large onions. Deep fry on high initially and low the flame when they turn light brown. Fry them till golden brown on medium flame.
- Keep a thick bottom vessel, pour in ghee. When it heats add marinated chicken cook till golden brown. Remove and keep aside. Make sure to put only pieces not the entire marination.
- In the same vessel add onion and cook till translucent, followed by tomatoes. Let the tomatoes get soften.
- Add cooked chicken and the marination and a little water if needed.
- In other pot boil 3 cups of water and drop all the spices mentioned in For cooking Rice.
- Let it boil for 3 to 4 minutes. Remove all the spices from the boiling water and put rice for cooking.
- Let be a flame on high for two minutes, slow down later to medium-low and pour lemon juice into it. Cook rice half cook.
- Now spread fried onion and mint leaves on cooked chicken and layer with rice.
- Again on rice spread saffron and chopped mint and coriander leaves and one teaspoon of ghee all over. Cover and cook everything on low flame.
- Check after few minutes at intervals.
- Once cooked place Katori on the cooked Biryani and put burning charcoal in it followed by ghee on it. Cover it so smoke should not escape. Keep covered till serving.
- Serve Biryani with raita.