Kokan is a rugged section of the western coastline of India. I belong to Sindhudurg, which is an administrative district in Konkan Maharashtra. The staple food in all over Konkan is rice and fishes. Rice crop is grown and harvested in large quantity in the Konkan region. The Arabian Sea is to the west, so fishes are consumed more.
As seafood is the staple food, the cooking and making are famous all over the world. Many tourist places like Goa and Malwan are getting importance because of food and beaches.
I have fried the fish in typical Konkani style. The procedure involves cleaning the fish, marinating with salt and lemon juice and then shallow or deep fry, applying special masala consisted of kokam( Garcinia Indica), Tamarind pulp, chili powder, malwani masala and coated with the rice flour.
The same recipe can be used to fry any fish you like. Let us take a look at how to make this fish fry recipe.
Whiting fish (sule) 5 to 6 piece. ( You can take any fish you like)
1 tbsp to marinate fish
1/2 lemon (marinate fish)
1 tbsp or more for frying
1/2 tbsp kokam pulp (in 3 tsp of water add 6 to7 kokam and soak for 15 to 20 mins, squeeze the pulp out of it)
1/2 tbsp tamarind pulp
2 tsp malwani masala
2 tsp red chili powder
a pinch of salt.
1/2 cup rice flour
2 tsp semolina (rava) optional.
- Clean and wash fish. Slit fish about 1 inch at the interval. This will help the marination go through.
- Apply salt and squeeze lemon juice on fish and keep for half an hour to marinate.
- After half an hour, wash fish again to remove excess salt.
- Bloat all the water from fish, use kitchen roll or tissue paper.
- Now mix kokam pulp, tamarind pulp, malwani masala, red chili powder, and salt.
- Apply evenly on fishes and keep this to marinate for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat skillet or tawa( thick bottom), pour 1 tbsp of oil or more.
- Now spread rice flour on a plate, if using semolina. mix together.
- Now dust flour on fish or dip the fish in the flour dust extra off.
- Place it on heated tawa. Keep it in mind that when you place to fish for frying the flame should be high and the should be medium to low with whole frying procedure.
- If oil is needed, pour tsp by tsp on it.
- Shallow fry on both the side til dark brown.