Sheera is made of Semolina called Rava in Marathi. It tastes sweet and full of dry fruits. Godacha Sheera means sweet Semolina. It is very easy to make and taste yummm. Generally, sweet dishes are made during festivals and auspicious occasions.
The specialty of Sheera is that it is offered as a Prasad (material or substance of food that is a religious offering in both Hinduism and Sikhism. It is normally consumed by worshippers after worship.)
The Sheera made for Prasad has a banana and made with few different ingredients than godacha sheera, although the procedure and ingredients are almost the same. The sheera I made is a snack and can be eaten any time of your meal or between meal when hungry.
It is healthy and tasty as well.
1 Cup Semolina( rava)
1 cup milk
1/2 cup of sugar
1 tsp Cardamom powder
1/2 cup ghee (clarified butter)
1/4 cup mix of few dry fruits ( cashew nuts, pistachio, raisins, almonds)
I used pistachio, cashew nuts, and raisins.
Saffron for garnish (I added during cooking as well)
- Heat kadai and add ghee followed by semolina and dry fruits.
- Roast Semolina till it changes color to light brown. This is very important that it should be roasted to light brown and be on low to medium flame.
- Now add sugar and milk at once. Make sure lumps are not formed, keep stirring and add if more milk is required.
- The consistency should be runny when milk is added, later it gets thick when it starts boiling and semolina absorbs milk.
- Cover for two to three minutes and cook well till it gets soften.
- Add cardamom powder, mix well
- Garnish with saffron and serve.