Dhoklas are the snack from Gujrat and one of the main delicacy. Gujratis can have dhoklas in any time for a meal. Moong dal khatta dhokla is a snack which can be eaten at any time whenever you feel hungry without guilt. As in south Idlis are a special delicacy, in Northeast Gujrat Dhoklas are a special delicacy. Every other side of India whether its east, west, North, and South they come with some specialties to form India. These food are liked and enjoyed by anyone among Indians whether from east, west, north, south.
So yes Dhoklas are one of the favorite dish everyone cherishes. Moong dal means split green gram. They are high in nutrition and can be eaten guilt-free.
2 cup soaked moong dal(soaked for almost 2 to 3 hours)
1 tsp baking soda.
1/4 cup lemon juice.
salt to taste
1 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp asafoetida
1 tsp dry
1 tsp sugar
2 to 3 green chilies
chopped coriander to garnish
- Make a paste of soaked moong dal, salt and grind without water add lemon juice instead. Make sure that the batter should not be runny. Add little lemon juice 1 tsp one at a time.
- Thick consistency is required like the idli batter.
- When the batter is ready to add 1 tsp of soda and mix well. When soda is added the batter gets fluffier and light in texture if it doesn’t add little lemon juice and mix well.
- Now grease pan to steam and steam batter.
- Insert a toothpick in the batter to check if its cook completely. If the toothpick comes to clean it’s done.
- When Dhokla cools, cut into cubes and ready for tempering.
- For tempering add oil to tadka spoon, when oil heats add mustard seeds and cumin seeds, let it crackle followed by hing, crushed dry kadipatta ( curry leaves), green chilies, 1 tsp chopped coriander, and 1 tsp lemon juice. Add 1 tsp sugar and 1/4 cup water, let it boil for few seconds.
- Pour it on cooked dhokla and spread all over. Garnish with coriander again.
Note: Serve with green and red chutney. Recipes of green chutney and red chutney on my website.
Link as below.