Veg Kolhapuri is a dish from Maharashtrian cuisine. It is an authentic dish of Kolhapur state in Maharashtra. It consists of mixed vegetables, generally cauliflower, green fresh peas, potatoes, carrots, green beans and capsicum. You can add whatever vegetables you like. I cooked in coconut milk and freshly grated coconut paste. There are few dry spices which are very important to give the Kolhapuri taste. Let’s take a look.
2 tsp coriander seeds.
1 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 inch cinnamon stick
8 black pepper
2 green cardamon
4 dry red chili
1 tsp poppy seeds (khaskhas)
2 tsp sesame seeds
3/4 cup coconut milk
3 tsp freshly grated coconut.
2 tsp ginger garlic paste
1 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
2 bay leaves
1 tsp chili powder
Salt to taste
1/2 cup cauliflower
1/2 cup green peas
1/2 carrot ( cut into sticks)
3 to 4 green beans
1 small capsicum( cut into chunks)
1 medium sized onion(chopped or puree)
2 medium-size tomatoes(chopped)
2 green chili (chopped)
- Roast dry ingredients and let it cool and grind to a powder.
- Make a paste of freshly grated coconut.
- Heat kadai and heat oil in it put bay leave and ginger garlic paste and let the raw smell go.
- Add onion and cook till it gets light brown, add tomato followed by turmeric and dry roasted powder, salt and chili powder.
- Cook till it leaves oil don’t add water, let it be on low to medium flame.
- Put grated coconut paste and let it cook for three to four minutes.
- Fry all the vegetables half cooked in another pan.
- Mix all the fried veggies to the cooked mixture.
- At the end add coconut milk.
- Garnish with coriander.
Hope you all will like this authentic dish from Maharashtra.