Chicken on Rice is the street food I ate at New York street. It was the first day I went to New York after coming to the US in 2014. It was very new to me to see the world International world, huge buildings, and huge dreams. The roads, the vehicles, the streets, lightings, store everything new for me. We walked and walked through the streets and felt hungry. We didn’t have any idea of going to a restaurant nearby or how to reach for it and all, cause everything was experienced first. On the way when we were trying to locate Mac Donald( we only knew this food chain, which was easy to look for) we came across this food truck offering some food, which had this chicken on rice menu on it. It looked so delicious in the picture so we ordered one. The writing of the whole story is that I invented this chicken on rice dish in New York street and now I know this is New York common street food.
I liked this dish and was extremely happy to get such a tasty recipe further to try on. Later I tried cooking at home and only it was the taste on my tongue to show me the ingredients and yes google search to correct the ingredients.
So I will share how I make this recipe. Let me know if you make your style Chicken on rice recipe. So I can try perfecting mine.
1 cup cubed boneless chicken.
2 tsp ginger garlic and green chili paste
1 tbsp mint and coriander paste (take mint and coriander at same proportion and 2 to 3 green chili, make a paste of it)
1 lemon juice
1/2 tsp red chili powder
salt to taste.
For Rice Cooking
1 cup long grain rice
1 cup water
1 tbsp butter
2 tsp cumin powder
1/ tsp turmeric powder
Salt to taste
2 tsp black pepper powder.
- Marinate chicken with all the marinations listed above for 2 hours and refrigerate.
- Later on Skillet cook chicken till golden brown.
- Heat kadai and butter, add cumin powder, turmeric, black pepper powder on a medium-low flame, let the aroma doubles add rice and toss in the butter and cumin to get all the flavors in it.
- Put 1 cup water to cook rice and cover, keep checking and adding water if needed.
- The rice should not become too sticky( pour some lemon juice to prevent stickiness)
- On plate serve chicken next to rice, top up with cream and sriracha sauce and chopped lettuce and tomatoes and cilantro.