If you all ask me about my favorite food, my answer is seafood and that too in Konkan cuisine style. I love love the way my mom cooks fish recipes and more in seafood. I am trying to reach the level of taste she makes, but unfortunately, I haven’t. I still remember those days when I used to come home from office late night and my mom used to send fry fishes and fish curry at my place even late. I am a mom of a grown daughter and sometimes feel this phase should remain still and never go. Now I understand the efforts and love for me by my mom and my younger brother who drive late night to reach my place before I reach home and get this freshly made favorite food of mine.
Every time when I make fish I always remember those days and my mom love behind the scene.” I Love you, Mom”. So let’s start
Ingredients (Prawns Fry)
30 to 35 pcs of shrimps
5 to 8 pcs Kokkam( garcinia indica)
1/2 tsp tamarind paste.
2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp ginger garlic paste.
1 tablespoon of oil
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
salt to taste.
- Heat kadai and pour oil and heat.
- Add shrimp and salt according to taste in kadai and on high flame let it fry till the water gets evaporated( shrimp leaves the water when cooking)
- Add tamarind paste, Kokkam, ginger garlic paste and all other ingredients together and fry (ie without not water)
- Shrimps don’t take long to cook.
- When shrimps leave the water, let it completely evaporate.
- Spices can be adjusted according to taste.
Now let’s move to the recipe which is Tomato curry ( tamatyacha rassa)
Tomato curry is made with tomato, freshly grated coconut, red chili coriander seeds. The taste it gives is awesome when they come and blend together. This curry is eaten with white rice or with rice flatbread (tandlachi bhakri). Lest have a look on the Ingredients of it.
Ingredients( Tomato curry)
1/2 tbsp vegetable oil
2 medium-size red tomatoes
1 small size onion (chopped)
2 cloves of garlic
1/4 cup of freshly grated coconut
1 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp asafoetida
3/4 curry leaves
Chopped coriander leaves for garnishing
1 tbsp of coriander seeds( roasted)
6 dry red chili ( 3 red chilies and 3 Kashmiri red chilies)
- Make a powder of red chilies and coriander seed in a mixer jar, in the same jar add freshly grated coconut, tomatoes few chunks of onion, 1 garlic clove and make a fine paste.
- Heat saucepan adds oil, let oil heat add mustard seeds (till crackle), asafoetida, curry leaves, chopped onion and chopped garlic on medium flame.
- Let onion get light brown in color, add this tomato and coconut paste to it. Let the flame be on high, continuously stir till boils.
- Simmer the flame and let it cook 10 mins on low flame, half covered.
- Garnish with coriander once done.
I am posting Sol Kadi ( Garcinia Indica juice with coconut milk ) on another blog. It has a good story and importance in Goan/ Konkan food, thus will update soon.