Bagara Baingan is a recipe from Hyderabad cuisine. Recently I posted so many recipes from Maharashtra, thought of trying some different cuisine and came across this Bagara Baingan(eggplant). Bagara Baingan(eggplant) is a form of thick curry( thickness can be adjusted) cooked in a paste of coconut, sesame seed, and peanuts. It can be made spicy or less, it tastes good anyway.
Generally, Baingan(eggplant) are whole small size baingan used in this recipe. I used the bigger eggplant which is used for baingan bharta ( I will post bharta recipe aswell ) and cut into bigger cubes. The curry taste so good that you can try putting different vegetables instead of baingan(eggplant) or a mix of vegetables. Let’s go through the recipe now.
1 medium-size eggplant ( 6 to 8 if small size eggplant)
oil to deep fry
3/4 cup roasted peanuts
3/4 cup roasted sesame seeds and grated coconut( both proportion same)
1 tbsp oil
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
2 tsp full jeera (cumin seed)
1/2 tsp methi (fenugreek seeds)
1/2 tsp asafoetida
1 1/2 tsp ginger garlic paste
2 /3 red dry chilies
1/2 cup curd/yogurt.
- Cut the eggplant in big size chunk ( if small whole eggplant slit in 4 halves)
- Deep fry eggplant on medium flame and keep aside.
- Roast peanuts, sesame seed, and coconut. Make a paste adding curd/yogurt into it.
- Heat oil in kadai, pour cumin seed, turmeric powder, red chili, ginger garlic paste, red chili powder, garam masala, and asafoetida.
- Add paste, and salt according to taste and cook till it leaves oil.
- Put in the eggplant and simmer the flame for 2 mins. Garnish with chopped coriander.
It is really very quick and easy recipe, do try the authentic flavors of India cooking food at home and enjoy.
Do comment and leave feedback regarding.