Jalfrezi recipe comes from Indian, Bangladesh continent. It is made with frying meat, fish, and vegetables in a few spices and yogurt. I have heard the name chicken Jalfrezi and have tried making at home as well. The idea of Jalfrezi is applied to Mushroom and I came up with this Mushroom jalfrezi. It is bit spicy but is balanced with yogurt and fresh cream in it. I made Mushroom Jalfrezi considering vegetarians.
My husband is hardcore nonvegetarian and very less interested in eating vegetables. I keep trying and experimenting on vegetables to match it to give the flavors as nonveg.
Ingredients (serving for 3)
2 portabella mushroom
1 large tomato
1 medium size chopped onion
1 green capsicum (yellow, red, orange bell pepper can be used)
½ tsp ginger paste
½ tsp garlic paste
2 tsp yogurt
2 tsp fresh cream
1 tbsp tomato ketchup
½ tsp turmeric powder
½ chili powder
4/5 green chilies chopped
2 red chilies
½ cumin powder
½ coriander powder
½ tbsp butter
½ tbsp. oil
salt to taste
- Heat a pan, pour oil and butter and saute onion to high flame.
- Add ginger and garlic paste and chopped tomato.
- Add salt to pan to soften onion and tomato.
- Add turmeric, cumin and chili powder followed by capsicum, portabella mushroom.
- Turn flame to medium and let mushroom leave the water after a few mins turn flame on high and let the water evaporate leaving veggie moist.
- Add ketchup, yogurt, and cream to it and simmer till thicken.
Note: For crunchiness of veggies add few onion cubes and capsicum cubes when adding ketchup, yogurt, and cream.