Semolina. Uppuma, Upith, Uppittu, Uppumavu, Uppindi,Rulanv and more are the names differently in different states on India. Semolina is a hard tiny grains of wheat after milling. Healthy, tasty and makes your stomach full. In India Uppama is made for breakfast and snack time.
Lets see how I make it.
1 cup semolina (Rava)
2 medium size onion
2 medium size tomato
1/4 cup chopped coriander
3/4 green chillies
3/4 cup peanuts.
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 Asafoetida (hing)
5 to 6 curry leaves
1 tbsp oil.
3 tsp lemon juice
2 1/2 cups of water.
- Heat Kadai and roast Semolina on medium flame when it change color remove from kauai. (It should be light brown in color after roasting)
- Pour oil to same kadai at medium flame and add peanuts to it and fry till they change the color. Remove peanuts from oil.
- Put cumin, mustard seeds and let them crackle add asafetida and curry leaves, followed by onion. Add two pinch of salt, this will make help onion cook faster.
- When onion gets translucent add chopped tomatoes and let it get soften.
- Add 2 cups of water and let it boil. Put salt and lemon juice to taste, when water boils, lower the flame and add roasted semolina to it and make sure no lumps are formed.
- Cover it for few minutes, check in between if getting dry add water to make the required consistency.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and fried peanuts.
Note: You can use cashew nuts instead of peanuts. I have not used peanuts or cashew in my Uppama.( because of allergy)