Kacchi Dabeli is street chat food available on every chat corners in India. It is most Indian famous and favorite chaat known. Dabeli is a mixture of boiled potato, pomegranate, onion, and peanuts, topped with red chutney( garlic chutney) sweet and sour chutney (date and tamarind ) and green chutney( mint and coriander) stuffed in buns (hamburgers) and toasted on flat tawa (skillet) with butter.
I made paav, all chutneys, and dabeli masala at home, you can get ready chutneys and dabeli masala from Indian stores. I used Raw banana instead of potato. I will give you measurement accordingly.
Will upload all the different types of masalas soon.
Ingredients(Buns, Laadi paav, hamburgers)
3 cup of maida (bread flour).( refined flour can be used)
1 packet of yeast( approx 2 1/4 tsp)( I used Fleischmann’s rapid rise instant yeast)
2 tsp sugar
1 1/2 tsp of salt
3 tablespoon of butter(butter for basting and baking)
1 1/2 cup of water.
Mix bread flour, instant yeast, sugar together add water and start kneading. Don’t add water at once, keep adding at intervals while kneading.
- Keep kneading till the dough stop sticking to hands and feels soft.
- When it is ready, apply butter on hands and dough to knead well.
- Keep covered for rising, in dark place in a bowl double its size. It takes almost 1 to 2 hrs according to the temperature it is in.
- When it doubles its size punch it and start kneading to make to normal size. Rub butter to your hands when you knead the dough.
- Make 8 to 10 ball and place in baking tray keeping a distance and cover one more time to rise. It will rise in an hour or two.
- Preheat oven to 425-degree Celsius and place tray in the oven until it gets a light brown coating on top( usually it happens in 10 to 12 mins), brush butter on buns and keep for more 2 to 3 mins. Keep monitoring or it gets brown soon.
Remove when its golden brown.
Ingredients (Stuffing for Dabeli)
4 Raw Banana( peel the green skin and steam banana till soften). If using potato take 2 boiled potato (approx 1 1/2 cup of potato)
2 tsp of dabeli masala.
2 to 3 tsp of oil.
chopped coriander for garnishing
1/4 cup fried peanuts.
1/2 cup pomegranate (anar)
salt to taste
- Heat Kadai pour oil, add dabeli masala in oil and immediately mix steamed banana( potato if using) followed by salt and chopped coriander. Mix well and cover for two minutes.
- Off the flame and let it cool.
- Prepare buns for stuffing. Cut in two halves
- Apply chutney(garlic, sweet and sour, green mint and coriander chutney) together.
- stuff this mixture (approx 2 tbsp) on the second half of bun. Put pomegranate kernel and peanuts on top of the stuffing and close this bun with first half of it. Coat the open ends of buns with barik sev.
- Heat tawa (flat skillet), put butter on it. Let butter sizzle place bun on it and cook both sides of bun for 1 minute. Serve hot.
Chutney can be applied according to the taste you want, spicy or sweet or mix.
Follow me for more recipes and will post all chutney recipe further. You can check if you are interested in making chutney at home.