The Angara means burning charcoal or Amber. Chicken Angara is one of the famous recipes in Indian and Pakistan. This recipe is made for all special occasion and celebrations. Chicken Angara has a flavor of smokey charcoal so I did to mushroom and came with this recipe Mushroom Angara.
It is so tasty that even nonvegetarian will love to eat veg sabji. Therefore it suits the taste of both vegetarian and nonvegetarian.
Come have a look at how I made it.
Ingredients serving for 2
Mushroom brown/white ( I used Portabella mushroom, these are mature brown mushrooms)
Portabella is big in size so I took two of them.
If button mushroom 8/10 pcs are fine.
1 medium size onion chopped
2 medium size tomato chopped
ginger garlic paste 2 tsp.
½ cup chopped coriander leaves
Chicken Angara masala ( I make this masala at home, will share the recipe. But you can buy readymade MDH and other brands work well)
1 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp of red chili powder
2 tsp of kasuri methi( 1 tsp for cooking and left one for garnishing)
2 tbsp ghee( 1 ½ tbsp. for cooking and ½ for charcoal smoke)
1 tbsp curd.
2 tsp of fresh cream
- Marinate mushroom with Angara masala and salt add few drops of water to wet-dry masala, keep aside for 10/15 mins
- Burn charcoal till red and place in an aluminum or steel bowl and place in a mushroom bowl to get that flavors to mushroom.
- Heat kadai on high flame, put ghee into it followed by ginger garlic paste, let the raw smell disappear
- Add onion and salt to it, let the onion get translucent(soft) and add tomatoes and kasuri methi to it. Cook till tomatoes leave the water and soften. Add curd/yogurt, turmeric, cumin powder, coriander powder and chili powder. Saute till the mixture leaves ghee.
- Add mushroom and cook, don’t put water as mushroom leaves lots of water by itself. Check at intervals if needed add according to the thickening you want.
- Crush leftover kasuri methi and cream at the end. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
Note: Do not use yogurt/curd while marinating, it will make mushroom not cook easily.