Masale Bhat is a rice recipe made with rice and mixed vegetables, during Marathi weddings and special occasion meals. It is served with Mattha (I have a recipe on it, do check). The special and most wanted vegetable is tondli(ivy gourd) and vaangi(brinjal). It is typically added in masale bhat. If these veggies are not available, the choice of your veggies can be used. I used cauliflower, green peas, and brinjal. The recipe below is the Authentic form for Masale bhat. Do try and enjoy Marathi cuisine food.
1 tbsp ghee
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1 bay leaf / tej patta
pinch of Hing / asafoetida
2 green chili slit
1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
1 chopped tomato
1 medium chopped onion
10 to 15 peanuts
2 cup mixed vegetables(potato, brinjal, tendli, green peas)
1/2 tsp turmeric / haldi
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp goda masala
1 cup rice(soak in water for 10 minutes)
2½ cups water
1 tsp salt or to taste
2 tbsp fresh coconut grated
2 tbsp coriander leaves finely chopped
- Heat cooker (I cooked in instant pot) add ghee into it.
- Add onion, chili and ginger-garlic paste. saute well followed by chopped tomato, mixed vegetables, peanuts an saute well
- On low flame add all the spices and goda masala. Let the mixture leave ghee.
- Add rice, water, and salt on high flame. Stir well and lid the cooker, let it give one whistle, turn flame to medium and let cooker whistle the second time. Turn off the flame.
- Garnish it with freshly grated coconut and coriander leaves.
Cashew nuts can be used instead of peanuts.
I have not used grated coconut as you can see in the picture.